There are a multitude of
things to do during a stay in Snowdonia , with something for everyone. The list
below summarises some of the main attractions and activities in the Snowdonia
- Greenwood Forest Park, nr. Caernarfon - Family fun and Forest Adventure. Rides, Exhibition, Cafes & Gift shops.
- Pier - restored
- Museum & Art Gallery
- gallery and museum of local history.
Castle (NT), nr. Bangor - neo-Norman castle built in 19th century.
- Castle (CADW)
- imposing castle built by English monarch
Edward I in the 1280's.
- Walled town - walls
enclose the town and are guarded by 22 towers.
- Plas Mawr (CADW)
- the finest surviving Elizabethan town house
- Britain's Smallest
House - the name says it all!
- RSPB Nature Reserve
- bird reserve on the Conwy Estuary
- Seafront - fine
Victorian seaside resort with sandy beach.
- Great Orme - Bronze
Age Copper Mines
- Cable Car - from
Llandudno to top of Great Orme.
- Victorian Tramway -
travel in style to the top of the Great Orme.
Gardens (NT), Tal-y-Cafn - spectacular gardens above Conwy Valley
- Snowdon Mountain Railway - rack & pinion railway
to Snowdon's summit
- Electric Mountain -
hydro-electric power in Europe's largest man-made
- Slate Museum - working
museum of the hey-day of the slate industry.
- Padarn Lake Railway
- former slate railway.
- Gwydir Castle, nr. Llanrwst
- fortified manor house dating from about 1500
Woollen Mill - hydro-electrically powered woollen
mill with shop
- The Ugly House (Ty Hyll),
Capel Curig - built in a night!
- Conwy Falls, Betws-y-Coed - waterfalls and woodland
- Swallow Falls, Betws-y-Coed
- Ty Mawr Wybrnant (NT), nr. Penmachno - birthplace of Bishop William Morgan
(translated Bible into Welsh)
- Dolwyddelan Castle (CADW) - dramatic castle dating from 12th century
- Grave of Gelert-
grave of legendary dog of Llewelyn Fawr.
- Sygun Copper Mine
- Blaenau Ffestiniog
- Llechwedd Slate Caverns
- experience the world of the Victorian slate miner.
- Ffestiniog Railway - travel through the mountains to
the sea by narrow gauge railway.
- Portmeirion - Italianate village built bt Sir Clough
- Brynkir Woolen Mill, nr.
Porthmadog - full working woollen mill with shop.
- Harlech Castle (CADW)
- castle built by Edward I.
- Chwarel Hen Llanfair, nr
Harlech - slate caverns used as a location for the film
- Shell Island, nr Harlech
- sandy beaches, rock pools, wild flowers, birdwatching,
and over 200 varieties of shells.
- Tal-y-Llyn Railway, Tywyn - narrow-gauge railway.
- Forest Walks- numerous
walks in the area (including waymarked paths).
- Mountain Walking / Climbing
- The Carneddau and the
- Cadair Idris
- The Rhinogs
- and many more ...!
- Climbing - Plas-y-Brenin
National Mountain Centre, Capel Curig. Also local crags.
- Mountain Biking -bike
hire widely available, waymarked routes in Coed-y-Brenin
(nr. Dolgellau) and Gwydir (nr. Betws-y-Coed) Forests
- Water Sports
- Plas Menai, Caernarfon
- National Watersports Centre
- Plas-y-Brenin, Capel
- National Whitewater
Centre, nr. Bala
- Dry Slope Skiing
- Plas-y-Brenin, Capel
- Llandudno - ski
with a sea view!
- Rhiw Goch, Trawsfynydd
- has several slopes.
- Golf -courses at: Betws-y-Coed,
Conwy, Llandudno, Bangor, Caernarfon, Harlech, Dolgellau,
- Horse Riding - numerous
- Birdwatching - numerous
coastal reserves including Conwy and Foryd Bay (nr. Caernarfon),
plus red kites and much more.
- Beaches - numerous sandy
beaches, including: Dinas Dinlle, Llandudno (2), Aberdyfi,
Tywyn, Fairbourne, Barmouth, Harlech, Morfa Bychan, Black
Rock Sands (nr. Porthmadog).